Dental Implants in Ottawa, ON
Restore Your Smile & Confidence
Patients who suffer from missing teeth struggle with simple tasks like eating and speaking and become more susceptible to further dental issues such as tooth decay. That’s why at Dow’s Lake Dental, Dr. El-Hawary specializes in dental implants to help give patients the smile of their dreams and protect their oral health in the process.
If you’ve experienced tooth loss, dental implants may be the perfect solution for permanently replacing your missing teeth and giving you a natural-looking smile, while also preserving the density of your jawbone.
Read further to learn how dental implants can help you smile your brightest again.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are oral prostheses that help you to achieve a more perfect smile by replacing any number of missing teeth, improving your overall appearance and oral health. An implant is made up of three parts:
- The titanium post is surgically inserted directly into your jawbone.
- The abutment is the connector piece between the restoration and the post.
- The restoration is the custom-made replacement for the missing tooth or teeth.
Over time, your implant will integrate with your jawbone, giving you a restoration that’s stable and long-lasting. While other treatments are available to replace missing teeth, no other restorative procedure will look or function more like your natural teeth than custom-made dental implants.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are the most effective solution for restoring your smile. Your implant will function like a natural tooth, permanently secured to your jawbone to allow effortless chewing, speaking, smiling. Dental implants are also custom made to blend with your natural smile, making them virtually indistinguishable from the rest of your teeth. The lifelike appearance of dental implants helps improve your confidence and makes your smile ready for any social situation.
Aside from cosmetic benefits, dental implants also stimulate your jawbone, preventing it from being absorbed back into your body in a process called resorption. Like real teeth, your dental implants will help keep your other teeth from shifting out of place in an attempt to fill empty spaces left by missing teeth, a process called dental drift. Using dental implants to fill empty spaces also helps prevent pain during eating, as well as inflammation, and infection due to bacteria and food particles entering the wounds.
The Dental Implant Process
The process for receiving dental implants and restoring your smile can be done in as little as two appointments over the course of several months.
There are three main steps in this process:
- Initial Consultation: Dr. El-Hawary will first conduct an evaluation of your teeth and gums to determine if you’re an ideal candidate for dental implants. If you suffer from the effects of gum disease or jaw deterioration, you may be required to undergo supplementary procedures to make your jawbone strong enough or your gum tissue plentiful enough to handle implants. Dr. El-Hawary will be able to develop a treatment plan that’s specific to your case.
- Placing Your Implant: Once you’re approved for dental implants, Dr. El-Hawary will begin the process by placing the fixtures into your jaw. Through a process known as osseointegration, the titanium implant will start to fuse and secure itself to your jawbone, creating a sturdy basis for your crowns. The recovery period tends to be anywhere from three to six months, although this can vary based on your unique physiology and level of oral health.
- Personalized Restoration: After your titanium posts have bonded with your jaw, you’ll return to our Ottawa office where Dr. El-Hawary will attach your custom-made restorations to their posts with the abutment pieces. Once you receive confirmation that your dental implants are in place, you’ll be free to show off your new, more perfect smile.
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the perfect treatment option for patients with one or more missing teeth. While the procedure doesn’t require you to be in perfect oral health, not everyone will immediately be a candidate and may require supplemental treatment. For optimal success, dental implants require a strong jawbone and healthy gums. After an initial oral assessment by Dr. El-Hawary, she’ll help create a plan of action for your oral health.
Through our treatment options and diligent maintenance of your oral hygiene, dental implants can become a solution that enhances your smile and improves the quality of your daily life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dental implants painful?
The process of receiving your dental implants is not painful. Prior to the procedure, we’ll apply a local anesthetic so you don’t feel any pain throughout the process. While it’s normal to feel some discomfort during the healing process, this can be easily managed with over-the-counter pain relievers and by applying a cold compress.
If you experience dental anxiety, we also offer sedation as an option to ensure that you stay calm and relaxed. With this method, you’ll remain conscious, but may not remember your procedure.
How do I take care of my dental implants?
Dr. El-Hawary will provide you with a list of instructions for taking care of your dental implants. To keep your fixtures clean and healthy, it’s important to practice proper oral hygiene. This includes brushing your teeth at least twice a day, flossing daily, and scheduling biannual checkups at our Ottawa office. You should also avoid irritating your gums with your tongue or fingers, and make sure that you gently brush your teeth with a soft bristled toothbrush and a non-whitening toothpaste.
How long do dental implants last?
With proper oral care and regular checkups, dental implants can last 25 years or more. Proper oral care means brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing daily to maintain the health of your teeth and gums. While your implants can last decades, your dental crowns may need to be replaced after 10 to 15 years due to normal wear and tear. Dr. El-Hawary will be sure to let you know if your dental implants need to be replaced or readjusted.
Does insurance cover dental implants?
Most insurance providers offer full or partial coverage for dental implants. We recommend checking with your provider specifically about your coverage options as companies can have different policies. If you have any questions, we encourage you to call our Ottawa office at (613) 406-6464 so that a staff member can assist you with determining your coverage.
Complete Your Smile Today
Want a camera-ready smile that’s fit for any occasion? Dental implants can help ensure you have a lifetime of confidence and oral health. Schedule your free consultation with Dr. El-Hawary by calling our Ottawa office at (613) 406-6464. See how dental implants can help keep a smile on your face!